Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

All the kids are tucked in bed, trying to fight the excitement and drift off to sleep.  The turkey has been eaten and leftovers packed away, guests have come and gone, and the house is settling down.  We're still an hour or two away from laying out the Santa gifts, and it's just... quiet.  It's hard to believe, as it is every Christmas Eve, that the year is winding down to just a few remaining days, and Christmas will be over in a blink.  By this time tomorrow, wrapping paper will clutter the floors, bellies will be full of Christmas dinner, and hopefully what will linger will be the warmth of The Reason in our hearts.


My hubby is watching a movie, while I sit listening to my I-Pod Shuffle (thank you baby!)  and puttering on the computer.  I'm not sure Brian is truly happy he got me the Shuffle.  My rendition of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative" and "Don't Be Cruel" has earned me a "white girls can't rap" from him.  Whatever...  


But I digress...  


Somehow if I can capture here the magic of Christmas so far, I'm hopeful it just might last a  *bit* longer.  






My sassy kids before church last week.  I swear, my kids are so beautiful, I don't know how I got so lucky.  I love that there's no question with my kids about the true meaning of Christmas.  They get it, they really do, and I am proud of their small budding testimonies.
Brian cooked what may become our new traditional Christmas Eve breakfast this morning. Sausage, egg and cheese stuffed croissants - so yummy!!


Shaped like dolphins for his kids, too.  Too cute!
The boys played outside all morning.  They don't care that it's 34 degrees outside - Jake didn't even wear a coat.  They just love being outside.
Petunia chowed down on Dad's creation before it even made it into the croissants.  She is pure carnivore, I swear.
Jake set the table all by himself....
and Dad corralled The Littles.  The hat says "ho-ho-ho", the smirk says "quit taking my picture".     


We roasted a turkey this year, and had some friends over for dinner.  As much as I dearly love family and spending time with them at Christmas, I have been looking forward to just this kind of Christmas for years.  No where to go, nowhere to be, just at home.


The kids got to open their gifts from the Mendozas, a fun new game for the boys, and Dora slippers for Petunia.




She also got to take some pictures with her "boyfriend".  You've never seen a happier girl.
After our dinner guests headed out, we settled in to our Christmas Eve traditions: ornament gifts, the Nativity story, and preparing Santa's goodies.  


All three of their ornaments are the same this year.  I saw these and just knew that for this year, these were right in more ways than my kids may ever know.  This may be the last year they all believe together in the mystery and magic of Santa.  I want them to always believe in their Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.  Believing is what has sustained us this year.
Each year, Dad reads Luke chapter 2 aloud.  It's one of my favorite traditions from my own childhood, and is a perfect way to send the kids off to bed.


"For unto you is born this day... a Saviour".
Goodies for Santa, which Jake baked himself yesterday.  The kids are always mindful of the reindeer, and tonight ran outside to pick them some grass, and left them a bowl of water.




Tomorrow will be a whirlwind, I know.  These sweet babies will be crazy with excitement and there will probably be a meltdown or two.  But there will be family, and love, joy and appreciation for all that we have been blessed with.  

No comments: