Monday, December 10, 2007

And finally...








We got our Christmas tree this weekend! We had planned on going to a tree farm my sisters have raved about - pretty much any size tree for $30, you cut and carry. So Friday afternoon I called Jennifer for directions, we loaded up the kids and camera, and headed out for what was going to be our first time cutting a fresh tree for the first Christmas in our new house. Add hot cocoa and overlay a dreamy Christmas song and it would have been the stuff Hallmark Holiday commercials are made of. But... cut to an hour later, both kids crashed out in the back seat and my husband completely annoyed because we have driven down Macleay road 3 times and never found the place (Valerie later told me that they are only open on the weekends). So, we ended at up at our traditional Christmas tree destination - Home Depot! And no, that's not a shameless plug because I work there - it was just closer than Lowes. By the time we got home and got the tree inside and in the stand, it was time for the kids to be in bed, so we saved the decorating for Saturday night.
As is our real tradition, we ordered pizza for the decorating festivites, and Brian and I did the lights. That has to be the only part of Christmas I don't enjoy, getting the lights on the tree - it always seems to be such a pain in the butt! However, it went pretty well this year, and after sending Austin off to bed (so I wouldn't have to ruin the evening by telling him "Don't touch!" 500 times) Brian, Jacob and I decorated the tree. Jacob actually put himself in charge of passing out the decorations and for everyone he handed out, he proclaimed "Grandma gave this to me when I was a little baby!". He also got to put our new angel on the top of the tree to kick things off. And while I look forward to the years when Austin can be a part of the decorating, it was worth it to see the look of amazement on his face when he woke up Sunday morning and saw the tree all lit up in the living room!

1 comment:

Jen said...

It wouldn't be Christmas without Jake in his underwear. :)