Monday, March 21, 2011

FHE

Yesterday after church, Jacob was working busily on the computer, and told me that he was planning our lesson for Family Home Evening.  No one had assigned him or asked him to be in charge, but he'd had a very important lesson in primary and he wanted to share it with us for FHE.  Of course, I said go for it.

Tonight he sat us all down and told us we were going to talk about baptism.  He started off by asking a few questions:
  1.  Who is looking forward to getting baptized when they are 8?
  2.  Who is nervous about being baptized?
  3.  How long do we have to wait after we are born before we can get baptized?
He then went on to tell us that baptism is more than just going under water and messing around.  It means that we are washed clean of all our sins.  "Gone, forgotten, don't even think about them anymore".  He likened baptism unto Goodwill, in that you can just get rid of all your sins through baptism like you get rid of your stuff at Goodwill.  He also told us we have two chances to be baptized, once for ourselves, and once for dead people who didn't get to do it for themselves.  Then he had some lovely picture packets that he had printed off of www.friend.lds.org, and he gave one to each of us to color for our activity.  We talked about how special it will be for his dad to baptize and confirm him, and how he will be the very first person his dad will get to do that for.

Jacob's spirit never ceases to amaze me.  My friend Holly - and Jacob's first real primary teacher- once called him a "spiritual giant" at the tender age of 5.  He is the reason I went back to church 4 years ago, and I am so grateful that because of that, all of my kids have the opportunity to learn about Christ and His love and plan for us.  I am humbled by the power of Jacob's testimony and the excitement he has had to be baptized, literally since the day he knew he could be. 

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

That is absolutely amazing and oh-so-touching. Thank you for sharing!

Chelsea Rivas said...

This makes me soo happy! I literally read your whole post with a huge grin on my face. Please, please, please let us know when it's going to be so we can come, OK?

Love that kid.

Valerie said...

Aren't you lucky that Jacob has such a fabulous primary teacher! :)

Jen said...

Wow! I'm so impressed. Nice job Jakey!