Friday, April 20, 2012

Pinewood Derby

I will readily admit I am not a huge fan of Scouts.  It's not that I don't appreciate what it can provide for young boys turning into young men, but honestly, it's just a huge pain in my backside.   It's a whole little book of things to add to our to-do list, not to mention it's another weekly meeting to get Jacob to and from, and it falls on our craziest day of the week (Wednesday).  

That being said, I love what Scouts does for my boy.  I love seeing him interact with friends, experiencing new things, and challenging himself to complete items to earn badges.  I also love the memories it helps create for him, which is a huge part of my intentional journey - creating a wealth of good childhood memories for my babies.

Last night was Jacob's pack  meeting/Pinewood Derby competition.  He and his Dad had been working on the car all weekend, and Jacob had a very specific vision in mind, which Brian was able to realize for him.  I was very disappointed when we learned that the Derby has been changed to yet another "everybody is a winner" competition, but my boy was taking pride in making his car regardless, and that made me so proud of him.
 The visionary and the craftsman, headed to the Derby.
 I love this boy!!
 "Blister", the name of his car, so christened due to an unfortunate incident during the paint drying process
 Singing the "Pinewood Derby Anthem" (who knew such a thing existed?)
 waiting with friends to "compete"
 scoping out the competition
 Ah duct tape....  every car needed a little extra weight

1 comment:

Mom said...

Aw, the memories...pinewood derby with Greg and pinewood derby that your father did just a couple years ago. Unfortunately his car crashed and Pen won the race. Crushed like a bug!