Saturday, June 11, 2011

Game Closet Redo

It is my secret dream to be a professional organizer.  In a perfect world I would quit The Depot, and get to organize other people for a living. 
For the time being, I am left to organize myself, and this time around it was the game closet in need of a makeover.  Now granted, part of the reason my game closet is disorganized is because I have 2 little boys who can't ever put a game back where they got it.  But, it needed some love.
 
(One of these days when I do a project, I will take some "before" pictures.  Usually I don't think about blogging it until I am into it and then the "before" is no more.  Maybe next time.)

These are the "tools" I used.  The scissors, bags and pen are for the puzzle project.  The tape is for fixing broken game boxes as you go.
We had 13 puzzles that took up way too much space in the closet.  So to start out with, I went through and dumped all the pieces into their own ziploc bags, which I get at The Dollar Store for, you guessed it, $1 a box.  They come in all different sizes, which works nicely for different size puzzles.  Then I cut the picture off the original box, put it in the bag with the pieces, and voila, you get this:

I use the label to write down how many pieces are in the puzzle.
Then they all stack nicely in a small bin I also got at The Dollar Store....

which fits neatly on the shelf!
The next step was to clean up all the cards and poker chips. 
 Again, I used the zipper bags I got at The Dollar Store.
They all went into a basket I got at, yes, The Dollar Store. 
Are you sensing a theme here?  I like to organize, but I am CHEAP.

And there you have it.  A neatly organized game closet!  At least until the boys play another game.....

No comments: